Baklouti Green Chili Gumbo
1/2 pound smoked spicy sausage, such as Andouille sausage, cut into 1/2" slices
1/2 pound peeled, deveined shrimp
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large celery rib, finely diced
1 green pepper, finely diced
1 red pepper finely diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 green onions finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1 dried bay leaf
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large tomato diced
2 cups sliced okra (optional)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Baklouti Fused Chili Olive Oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Rice to serve
1. In a large, heavy pot heat the Baklouti chili oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Set the chicken aside and add the sausage to the pot. Saute the sausage
slices until browned, and set aside.
2. In the same pot, set over medium heat, add the flour to the oil and pan drippings stirring and scraping to incorporate. Cook the flour over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes until it turns a
deep rich brown. Be careful not to go overboard and cook it until it burns!
Add the remaining two tablespoons of Baklouti chili oil to the flour mixture along with the garlic, peppers, onion, celery, and okra. Saute over medium low heat until the vegetables start to become tender, about 5
3. Add the stock, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and stir to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until until the gumbo thickens. Add
the Chicken and sausage back to the pot.
4. Lower the heat and simmer over medium-low heat for about 30
minutes. Add the shrimp during the last two minutes and cook through.
Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, ladle the gumbo over rice and top with the sliced green onion and chopped parsley.